Saturday 1 May 2010

Tools of the trade, even dancers have it!

When I'm not binding, I'm usually dancing, that's my second soul.
Yesterday I had to customize my brand new pointe shoes to be able to wear it during my classes and recitals.
Pointe shoes are still handmade, each shoemaker has his own signature and each pair can fit differently from one another of the same size.

Each dancer usually tries different sizes, different brands, and different ways to customize her own shoes to fit exaclty her dancing needs.
In last years, I've fallen in love with Grishko pointe shoes, even though I'm looking for the perfect shank range.
Brand new pointe shoes haven't any ribbon or elastic band, so each dancer has to sew them and customize her own shoes according to her techinique and the coreographic needs.

That's how I customize my own ballet tools of the trade:
first of all, I fix the ribbons: my new teacher wants them to be fixed to turn out just below the malleoulus, before I was sawing them over the side quarters.
That' how I take the measurement: I fold the ending part of my pointe shoes (the sole is shorter than the feet, so that there's a little bit of border all around it) inside and I mark the two points where the fold ends: that's where my ribbon will be sewn.
When I know that I will have very little time to change my outfit during recitals, instead of ribbons I use elastic headbands, fixed in 4 points and crossing into an X shape over my instep.

Next to the ribbons or the X elastic headbands, I always need to saw an elastic band that will wrap around my ankles a fix it just above the heel. Ribbons are sewn ouside, because they helps the shoes to "adhere" better to the feet, elastic headbands are fixed on the border.

Then, there's the crytical point: after falling right on my knees and risking more than simple livids, I've decided to work on the platform of my pointe shoes to avoid slipping.
Pointe shoes are covered with satin, that can turn out to be very very slippery! That's why I cut out the satin covering on the platform.
Next, the longest step: to help balance, I need to contour the platform with very thick sewing thread. It can take also half an hour, and thinking about how much long will this pair of shoes live (8 months, if I'm lucky), that's a way too long work! But thinking about my knees and my health, it is necessary...
So I strart sewing all around the permeter with a double thick thread one, two, even three times until I reach the right thickness.

There we are, ready to dance!


It has been quite a long work, but I'm very happy with the result. Now, you know that to be a good dancer you need to learn how to handle a needle, because you will often use it =)
All this sewing work made me think about working tools: everyone, especially crafters and craftsman, have it and need to customize it.

So here's the question: do you have a specific tool you need/want t customize to fir your needs? 
Is there any knid of tool that you obtained recycling an old object, or something intented for another use (kitchen tools, for example), that you found out being irreplaceable in your work?
Are you jealous of your tools or you let co-workers or family or anyone else handle it?

Personally, I'm quite jealous of my bonedfolders, that I shaped using them all and over again and fixing the shape for very particular leather work.
The tool I will never borrow to anyone is my pairing knife: It must be perfectly sharpened by hand each time I use it, and another hand would do that giving a different movement or a different angle, changing the edge.
My father is even more jealous than me of his own tools, now that I've started working, I can understand why!

I'm quite curios to hear your stories too! Write your answer to my questions in a comment here below, I promise I will read all of them and pick the more interesting ones to be featured on my blog.

19 comments:

  1. Post interessantissimo :) Scrivo in italiano perché non ci sto con la testa oggi per scrivere in inglese :(
    Utilizzo molti strumenti riciclati da altri impieghi: stuzzicadenti, spiedini di legno, lime per le unghie, pinzette per sopracciglia, ombretti e relativi pennellini e spugnette, spugne per il corpo, macchina per la pasta fatta in casa, formine per i dolci, tappi di ogni tipo, spilli, anzi, a dire la verità, tutto quello che mi capita sotto mano. Lavorando con le paste sitentiche e realizzando miniature, è la prassi utilizzare tutto ma proprio tutto, sia come strumento che come componente del lavoro :)
    Sono gelosa dei miei strumenti di lavoro? Dipende, di alcuni sì, soprattutto delle lamette monoblade e dei pennelli, le prime perché si rovina il filo, e devono talgiare perfettamente, i secondi perchè ogni pennello, anche vecchio, ha la sua funzione e se me li rovinano mi sento persa ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow how brilliant ...I didnt know each dancer fitted her own pointe shoes ....

    I love this story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this interesting post!

    I use knitting needles to sculpt my ceramic beads and pendants and to pinch holes in them.

    I'm not jealous of my tools and let kids in my workshops use them, but look after them carefully so they use my tools in the right way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting reading :) they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and very interesting post! Grazie for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I used to embroider the tips of my pointe shoes, with matching crochet cotton, in a spiral, using a chain stitch. I didn't cut the satin off, but embroidered through it, into the shoe-canvas underneath. This gives a great surface, which is non-slip and hardwearing. It's also slightly cushioned (which I'm sure you'll understand is helpful to the feet!!). I still keep my last pair of pointe shoes. They are not much worn and still shiny, since I had to give up dancing before I had used them much....

    It's lovely to hear from a keen dancer (and one who also makes books!!).

    My favourite bookbinding tool is my bamboo folder. It's just comfortable in my hand, weighs very little, but is strong. The end is nice and smooth and gives good creases. I would like one or two good bone folders too though... And yes, I am a bit protective of my folder - someone got glue all over the end and I was upset! It's no good if the folder smears dirt all over my lovely hand-torn signatures!

    I also had a great needle, which I then lost. I think it's in the house somewhere, but don't know where. I can't remember where the needle came from, so have just had to adapt to using others. Maybe one day the needle will turn up (with its bit of foam protection)...

    This is a great post, Pauline! Glad to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bellissima idea questo post!
    Io quoto al 100% quello che ha scritto Mairi, e aggiungo: se non ci fossero gli stuzzicadenti sarei perduta!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wouw This brings me back to my youth... I was as tudent at a balletschool till my 14 th. after that they kicked me out as my bone structure became too heavy... I was bendable enoug but my bones were not "fragile looking" I have sewn ribbons and all too, I just made a crochetted round and sewn that to my platform... Thanks for sharing!!

    My tools for this moment in my life are my garden cutting scissors and a crochet needle...
    When someone else want to use the crochet needle That's ok, but my gardenscissors: No way: I never cut any wire with it as to keep them sharp, but most people cut everything with it:( so no changing scissors at my place, hihihihi
    Oh and for feliting: best tools are my hands.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. carissima, vista l'ora uso l'italiano anche io...ma dato che si parla di scarpette che i miei piedi hanno ben conosciuto non potevo non lasciare commenti ^_^ ricordo la formazione dei calletti e i batuffoli di cotone che mettevo dentro le scarpette ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. adoro quelle scarpette fin da quando ero bambina!!
    bellissima idea questo post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating article Pauline, I love the way you explain the procedure step by step, with all the pics. I myself have a faraway recollection of pointes and having to adapt the tip of my shoes: I was 13 years old and did not know how to sew so there was an elderly lady, ex-ballerina, living in my street, who did it for me. I only used pointes very briefly, I was too tall anyway and my ballet teacher always reminded me of that. I can remember excruciating pain and bleeding feet--- ouch!

    I have work tools (for drafting, for sewing, painting, and crafts in general) that I am very jealous of, so I often have fits because my children just come and help themselves to my things and don't put them back where they found them! That's when I tear down the house! :DDD But I want them to have access to creating so I don't want to clamp down too much.

    Nothing to do with crafting, but I have a product I have recently put to unconventional "hygienic" use: baking soda! I got so fed up with all the deodorants on the market, I hate most of those "supposedly-good" smells. Also all the anti-perspiring properties get me suspicious and worried. So now I just smear a sprinkle of baking soda onto a wet towel and smear it on under my armpits. Mind you, not too much of it, or it will end up on your floor: my hubby got suspicious the other day, he asked me "what's this WHITE POWDER around the bathroom sink?!"
    It's quite amazing: cheap, completely odourless and B.O.(body-odour)killing, lets me sweat freely and lasts over 24 hours! Pauline you could try it before going to dance class? ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked this post - it a interesting story for us non-dancers. :)

    I have some nice woodcutting tools that I wouldn't let anyone else use for the same reason as some others here-they are cut to my hand and I have my own way of sharpening them. It is quite easy to ruin a good edge on a blade.

    I always let other people use my bookbinding tools, so now I have both a ruined brush and a messed up bonefolder - maybe I'll get a set for myself and only lend out the harder-used set. :)

    Thanks again for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! interesting and fascinating... really. I can feel your passion for ballet and for crafting fused together ;)
    Thanks for sharing this bit of your private life with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I am very impressed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grishko are my favourite too.

    Instead of thread, I have used dental floss to sew ribbons on. It holds up really well. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails